Stage 3 review of AE inventories
Stage 3 review is a technical in-depth review of selected countries, checking if submitted emission inventories are complete, consistent through the time, properly documented, and accurate. Annual in-depth review aims to be consistent across the Parties and the process should ensure that the same approach is performed each year.
The review of data reported under CLRTAP is performed jointly with those reported under the amended National Emissions Ceilings Directive (2001/81/EC) and the process is supported by the European Environment Agency (EEA).
The plan is to check in detail the inventories of each Party at least once every five years. (=> approximately 10 Parties to be reviewed annually).
Long term plan as updated after EMEP SB meeting in Sept. 2016
|Year||List of countries|
|2017||Albania**, Armenia*, Austria, Malta*, EU, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan*, Lichtenstein*, Monaco*, Montenegro**|
|2018||Bosnia & Herzegovina**, Finland|
|2016||Estonia, Georgia, Iceland, Luxembourg, FYR. of Macedonia, Russian Fed., Serbia, Switzerland, Turkey, United Kingdom|
|2015||Azerbaijan, Belarus, Czech Rep., Ireland, Rep. of Moldova, The Netherlands, Slovakia, Slovenia, Ukraine|
|2014||Belgium, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, Greece, Germany, Hungary, Spain|
|2013||Bulgaria, France, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Sweden|
Next in-depth review of selected inventories is planned for May-June, meeting of ERTs is planned for June 2017, Copenhagen at EEA. 10 countries considered for the 2017 review see in table above.
- Reporting of Armenia, Kazakhstan and Kirgizstan improved, but for the in-depth review data, particularly IIRs need further elaboration
- Malta did not submit IIR within last 3 years
- Lichtenstein and Monaco did not submit IIR since 2014
- Albania did not report any data inventory data within last 4 years – latest submission from 2012
- Montenegro did not report any data within last 3 years – latest submission from 2013
- Bosnia & Herzegovina did not submit any inventory so far, review postponed to 2018
- Finland asked EMEP/CEIP for postponing its review - planned now for 2018
27 countries have been successfully reviewed in period 2013-15. Review of Switzerland planed for 2015 has been postponed to the year 2016. The changes in 2014 review plan have been agreed during the EMEP SB bureau meeting in March 2014. The UNECE secretariat informed concerned Parties about the upcoming changes.
- In-depth inventory review of the Netherlands and Ireland has been postponed to the year 2015. Review of Germany and Croatia has been conducted instead.
- Russia and Moldova did not submit inventory data in 2014, therefore the centralised in-depth review of these 2 countries has been cancelled.
History of stage 3 in depth reviews of AE inventories 2008-2012
|Year||List of countries|
|2008||France, Norway, Portugal and Sweden (voluntary)|
|2009||Belgium, Bulgaria, Denmark, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland and Spain|
|2010||Austria, Cyprus, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Romania, Russian Federation*, Slovakia, Switzerland and United Kingdom|
|2011||Czech Republic, Belarus, Croatia, Estonia*, Greece*, Iceland, Luxembourg, The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Slovenia and Ukraine*|
|2012||Albania*, Georgia*, European Community, Liechtenstein*, Malta*, Monaco*, Republic of Moldova*, Montenegro*, Serbia* and Turkey*|
10 Parties have been reviewed in 2016. Final country review reports will be posted here before EB meeting
Next centralised review meeting is planned for June 2017
(at EEA premises in Copenhagen). 10 countries should be reviewed.